Friday, June 12, 2009

With Apologies to Dr Seuss

I'm often asked where I get ideas for the things I write about. The simple answer is, everywhere. As evidenced by today's blog, even a trip to the hardware store can become an outlet for macabre creativity. I'd like to apologize to Dr. Seuss for my blatant ripoff of his writing style – although I think he might approve.

Hooks I needed
Hooks I sought
A simple thing, a hook,
I thought

Until I saw it
down the aisle
A wall of hooks
that spanned a mile!

Who would have guessed it
so confusing
All those hooks
All there for choosing!

Hooks that stick on
Hooks that screw on
Hooks that clip on 
Hooks that glue on

Hooks for ceilings
Hooks for walls
Hooks for closets
Hooks for halls 

Hooks for coats
Hooks for hats
Hooks for hooks
Imagine that!

Hooks in silver
Hooks in gold
Hooks for looks
And hooks that hold

Hooks of metal 
Hooks of wood
Hooks of plastic
(cheap, but good)

Big hooks, little hooks
Fat and thin
Hooks that swivel
Hooks that spin

Long hooks, short hooks
Curved and straight
Hooks with crooks
(best used for bait)

My head felt faint
My stomach sick
I couldn't choose 
I couldn't pick!

It wasn't fair
It wasn't right
Those laughing hooks
They mocked my plight!

I left bereft
Downhearted, stranded
Hookless, hopeless,
Empty handed

A painful blow
My quest to fail
Aw, screw the hooks
Who's got a nail?


1 comment:

MAGolla said...

You're a natural, Jody!
Love it!